CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
- Distinguishing between verifiable facts and value claims.
- Determining the reliability of a claim or source.
- Determining the accuracy of a statement.
- Distinguishing between warranted and unwarranted claims.
- Distinguishing relevant from irrelevant information.
- Detecting bias.
- Identifying unstated and stated assumptions.
- Identifying ambiguous or equivocal claims or arguments.
- Recognizing logical inconsistencies in a line of reasoning.
- Determining the strength of an argument.
SOURCE: Thinking Skills Throughout the Curriculum, Pi Lambda Theta, Bloomington, Indiana, Barbara Presseisen, 1987.